The purpose of this blog is to keep track of my experience with Bountiful Baskets. I will do price comparisons every other week, plus share recipes and tips for using the produce.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Basket Breakdown 8/18/12

Long story short, I didn't do the breakdown because I ended up giving away some of my baskets this week, plus I was just plain busy after we were done.  This is the basic run-down that we got.  Remember, your results may vary, depending on how the case-ends were distributed.

4 peaches
3 pears
9 plums
3 onions
1 bag red grapes
7 bananas
1 head romaine lettuce
1 bunch kale
4 tomatoes
3 crowns broccoli
1 bag of brussels sprouts

Going off of previous weeks, I would guess that this basket is in the $30 range, when compared to Walmart pricing.  The contibution amount, including fees, is $16.50, so that would still be a savings of almost 50%.  Not bad.

Did I ever tell you about the specials that you can add to your baskets each time?  There is usually a case of fruit that is offered.  This week it was 20 pounds of tomatoes for $12.00.  Previous weeks have had cases of pineapples, mangoes, plums, peaches, and strawberries.  There are also 5-packs of bread available.  Each week, there is also a different veggie pack, based on a theme.  There has been asian packs, italian packs, mexican packs, and this week, we had a guacomole pack, which I got.  It had:

6 avocados
2 bunches green onions
2 yellow onions
1 bunch cilantro
4 jalapenos
4 green chiles
1 clove garlic
6 limes

The contribution for it was $8.50.   I  know that avocados are usually at least $1 a piece, so that would have also been a significant savings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment