The purpose of this blog is to keep track of my experience with Bountiful Baskets. I will do price comparisons every other week, plus share recipes and tips for using the produce.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

How to: lettuce

012 text
This topic seems like kind of a no-brainer, but I think it is worthy of a discussion.  Lettuce is pretty cheap when you buy it by the head, instead of the pre-washed, bagged kind.  I used to buy the heads all of the time, only to have it go bad before I got around to using all of it.  I would usually just rip off as much as I needed and then put the rest back in the refrigerator.  Or, I was just too lazy to do even that and before I knew it, it was no good anymore.  I finally developed a method that works well for me.  By cutting up the entire head all at once, it is ready to use anytime and I am so much more likely to use it. 

Have you ever had the edges of your lettuce brown after cutting it and storing it for a day or two?  Apparently, the metal in the knife speeds up the browning effect.  By using a plastic knife like the one in the picture, you can delay that browning by quite a bit.  Usually, I have the whole thing eaten by the time it browns.  My mother-in-law bought that one for me, but I have seen them in Walmart and on Amazon.  For a few bucks, I think it’s worth it. 

001

Start by cutting off the base of the lettuce, as far up as you would like.  Then cut it parallel to that first cut in whatever thickness you want.  I think mine were about 1-1/2” thick.  This requires a sawing motion.

006

Next, cut the opposite direction, again as narrow or thick as you want.  If you want your pieces smaller, keep cutting until you are satisfied.

007

Now it is time to wash it.  I use a salad spinner, which is amazing.  I didn’t take pictures of this step, but I think it’s pretty self-explanatory.  Put the lettuce in the spinner, wash it off good, and then put the lid on and spin the heck out of it.  If you don’t have a spinner already, I suggest getting one.  Mine is a cheapy from Walmart that probably cost me $5.  I have seen them on Amazon for $60, so you can spend a little bit or a lot.  Mine works fine.

Put it in a ziploc bag or a bowl with a lid and put it in the fridge.  I have used both the bag and the bowl and either works just fine.  I have kept lettuce as long as a week using this method.  Now, go chop your lettuce.

012

You are now ready to make a quick salad, top your tacos or put it on a sandwich.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect! Thank you! I never knew about the metal knife, so I'm totally getting a plastic one just for this.

    ReplyDelete